1. The Captain of the Port New Orleans is issuing a safety advisory for the waters of the Port Allen – Morgan City Alternate Route at Mile Marker 36. This advisory is needed to protect persons and vessels from the potential safety hazards associated with construction operations on the southwest guide wall of the Bayou Sorrel Lock. The lock will be closed from 7 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday, until construction operations are complete. Construction is expected to be completed in March 2024.
2. Mariners are urged to be cautious and enter along the north side of the lock and avoid contacting the southwest guide wall during construction operations.
3. Northbound vessels greater than 35 feet wide are advised to utilize an assist vessel on the lead barge when entering the lock from the south.
4. Mariners are advised to transit at the slowest safe speed to minimize wake while transiting in the vicinity of the southwest guide wall.
5. Opportunities for vessel passage may occur and will be utilized at the discretion of the lockmaster.
6. For on scene information, Mariners may contact the Bayou Sorrel Lockmaster at (225) 716-0841 or VHF CH. 14
For additional information, contact the following:
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans Command Center: (504) 365-2200
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans Waterways Management: (504) 365-2278
Coast Guard MSU Baton Rouge Waterways Management: (225) 298-5400 x230