As a result of the Baton Rouge gauge reading 25’ and predicted to rise, the Captain of the Port of New Orleans has issued a safety advisory for all waters of the Lower Mississippi River (LMR) from Mile 219 Above Head of Passes (AHP), to Mile 229 AHP. The following are recommendations for the advisory:
Port Allen Lock LMR MM 219-229:
1. All tows greater than 600’ (excluding the towboat) are recommended to employ an assist vessel of at least 1200 hp when entering locks.
2. All tows exiting the Port Allen Lock intending to turn northbound are recommended to use an assist vessel or proceed southbound and then top around at or below MM 221 prior to heading north.
3. Companies should consider staffing vessels with the most experienced crews.
4. Tows shall catch a headline when entering the locks.
5. Vessels will be put on queue for lock turn when their tow is built and may remain in the area in which their tow was built until it is time for lock turn.
For further information, contact the following:
Vessel Traffic Center Lower Mississippi River: (504) 365-2230 (24 HR), VHF-FM CH 05A
Coast Guard Baton Rouge Waterways Management: (225) 298-5400 X230
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans Command Center: (504) 365-2200