- As a result of the Bayou Sorrel gauge reading 6.5 feet and rising, the COTP New Orleans has implemented an advisory with the following restrictions in accordance with the Waterways Action Plan Baton Rouge Annex:
- Bayou Sorrel Lock area:
- One way traffic is required for all vessels from MM 37.6 to MM 45.
- All mariners are advised to transit the area at minimum safe speed with no discernable wake.
- Lower Grand River Waterway (landside route by Bayou Sorrel) is closed to all commercial traffic.
- If the Bayou Sorrel River gauge reaches 6.9 feet and continues to rise, the Bayou Sorrel Lock will begin clearing out the waterway and will not allow vessels to enter.
- If the Bayou Sorrel River gauge reaches 7.3 feet the U.S. Coast Guard will assess the need to close the waterway to all power driven vessels, with the exception of local facility traffic from MM 60 to MM 65, including the Sun Plus Canal, on a limited basis.
For further information, contact the following:
Coast Guard Marine Safety Unit Baton Rouge: (225) 298-5400
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans Command Center (24 hours): (504) 365-2543
Bayou Sorrel Lock: (225) 659-7773, or VHF Channel 14