- As a result of the Baton Rouge gauge reading 8.0 feet and falling, the COTP New Orleans has issued a low water safety advisory for all waters of the Lower Mississippi River (LMR) from Mile 167.5 Above Head of Passes (AHP) to Mile 303 AHP. This safety advisory is needed to protect vessels and mariners from hazards associated with low water, including possible shoaling and decreased channel widths. This safety advisory is effective September 9, 2022 at 0100, with the following provisions:
- Industry Navigating and Operating on the LMR
- All towing vessels in the vicinity of College Town Light (MM 225 to MM 228.3) are advised to keep flat on the bank and provide a wide berth to deep-draft vessel traffic.
- Commercial vessel operators shall be aware of falling river-level conditions and monitor Coast Guard safety broadcasts announcing known navigation hazards. Tow sizes and vessel drafts from cargo loading should be adjusted as necessary to meet increasingly shallow channel depths.
- Pilots and Masters of oceangoing vessels should review facility docking procedures prior to arrival in port.
- All vessels should transit in the charted navigational channel to the greatest extent possible. Mariners are reminded that current buoy lines may not be reliable.
- Towing companies should consider staffing vessels with their most experienced crews.
- Movement of Vessels in the Vicinity of 81 Mile Point, LMR MM 177-179:
- In accordance with 33 CFR 161.65(e), all vessels moving or intending to move in the 81 Mile Point VTS Special area shall comply with the reporting requirements detailed in the VTS Lower Mississippi River User Manual or in 33 CFR 161.65 by contacting “New Orleans Traffic” on VHF FM Channel 05A.
- Mariners are also advised of the increased possibility of shoaling in this area and should use extreme caution while transiting. Report missing aids to navigation to the Sector New Orleans Command Center.
This Marine Safety Information Bulleting supersedes Volume XXII, Issue 047, Low Water Safety Advisory: MM 167.5 TO MM 303 LMR (12’ and falling).
For further information, contact the following:
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans Command Center: (504) 365-2200
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans Waterways Management: (504) 365-2280
Coast Guard MSU Baton Rouge Waterways Management: (225) 298-5400 x230
Vessel Traffic Service Lower Mississippi River: (504) 365-2230, VHF FM Ch. 05A, 12, 67