As a result of the Baton Rouge gauge reading 30’ and predicted to fall, the Captain of the Port of New Orleans has issued a safety advisory for all waters of the Lower Mississippi River (LMR) from Mile 219 Above Head of Passes (AHP) to Mile 240 AHP. This safety advisory is effective at sunrise on Friday, May 28, 2021. The following are recommendations for the advisory:
Port Allen Lock LMR MM 219-229:
1. All tows greater than 600’ (excluding the towboat) are recommended to employ an assist vessel of at least 1200 hp when entering and exiting the Port Allen Lock.
2. All other Canal Tows exiting the Port Allen Lock intending to directly head northbound are recommended to use an assist vessel. All other tows should proceed southbound and then top around at or below MM 221 prior to heading north.
3. Companies should staff vessels with their most experienced crews.
4. Towing vessels are recommended to catch a headline when entering the Port Allen Lock.
5. Vessels will be put on queue for lock turn when their tow is built and may remain in the area in which their tow was built until it is time for lock turn.
Wilkinson Point LMR MM 232-240:
1. All high water safety advisories have been removed.
This Marine Safety Information Bulletin supersedes Volume XXI, Issue 033 High Water Safety Advisory: Baton Rouge 30’ and Rising – MM 221 to MM 240 AHP LMR.
For further information, contact:
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans Command Center: (504) 365-2200
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans Waterways Management: (504) 365-2280
Coast Guard MSU Baton Rouge Waterways Management: (225) 298-5400 x230
Vessel Traffic Service Lower Mississippi River: (504) 365-2230, VHF FM Ch. 05A, 12, 67