As a result of the Bayou Sorrel river gauge reading 6.9 feet and rising, the COTP New Orleans has implemented an advisory with the following restrictions in accordance with the Waterways Action Plan Baton Rouge Annex:
Bayou Sorrel Lock area:
– All mariners are advised not to enter the system from MM 37.6 to MM 45 of the Bayou Sorrel Waterway.
– Current vessels in the queue will be allowed to exit until the waterway is cleared of traffic.
– The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has temporarily closed the Bayou Sorrel Lock to all navigation.
– The Lower Grand River (landside route) remains closed to navigation
– The Port Allen Lock will operate for local facility traffic from MM 60 to MM 65, including the Sun Plus Canal, on a limited basis.
– The Bayou Sorrel Lock will reopen once the Bayou Sorrel gauge returns to 6.9 feet and falling.
These restrictions will be in effect as long as the Bayou Sorrel Lock landside gauge reading is above 6.5 feet. This MSIB supersedes MSIB Vol. XXI Issue 025, Morgan City-Port Allen Alternate Route.
For further information, contact:
Coast Guard Marine Safety Unit Baton Rouge: (225) 298-5400
Coast Guard Sector Command Center New Orleans (24 hours): (504) 365-2543
Bayou Sorrel Lock: (225) 659-7773 or VHF Channel 14