Updated VTS Measure – Aben Revetment Operations at Bringier Point, MM 172.5 RDB AHP LMR
The Captain of the Port New Orleans is issuing a safety advisory for the waters of the Lower Mississippi River from Mile Marker (MM) 171.5 Above Head of Passes (AHP) to MM 173.5 AHP. This advisory is needed to protect persons and vessels from the potential safety hazards associated with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) revetment operations occurring along the right descending bank (RDB) near MM 172.5 (Bringier Point). The revetment operations will be conducted daily from 5:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. local time from December 5 – 18, 2019, excluding the weekend of December 7 and 8. During times of actual revetment work, the Mat Sinking Unit (MSU) will extend approximately 300-800’ channel ward from the bank. At the conclusion of daily operations, the platform will be removed, and the channel will have no restrictions at night.
Beginning at 5:00 A.M. on December 5, 2019 this measure is in effect of each working day with the following provisions:
- All vessels (except as described below) are prohibited from entering a zone extending from MM 171.5 to MM 173.5 AHP LMR from 5:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
- Northbound deep-draft vessels less than 600 ft length and less than 27 ft draft may transit around the MSU after contacting New Orleans Traffic and the ACOE on scene pilots stationed on the M/V HARRISON or M/V WILLIAM JAMES via VHF-FM Channels 67 or 82 to make passing arrangements.
- Fleet vessels and tows less than 600 ft long may be allowed one-way traffic around the MSU after contacting New Orleans Traffic and the ACOE on-scene pilots’ stationed on the M/V HARRISON orM/V WILLIAM JAMES via VHF-FM Channels 67 or 82 to make passing arrangements.
From 4:00 P.M. to 5:00 A.M. of each working day.
- All traffic shall contact New Orleans Traffic to coordinate safe passage as required by 33 CFR 161.65 (d).
- Southbound deep draft vessels shall contact New Orleans Traffic prior to passing White Castle Anchorage (MM 190 – 191) to verify the MSU has been removed from the channel.
- This Marine Safety Information Bulletin supersedes MSIB Volume XIX, Issue 88, VTS Measure – Bringier Point / Aben Revetment Operations MM 172.5 RDB AHP LMR, dated 25 November 2019.
Updates and/or changes will be disseminated via VTS email distribution and/or via Safety Broadcast Notice to Mariners.
For additional information, contact the following:
Coast Guard MSU Baton Rouge: (225) 298-5400 ext. 230
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans Command Center: (504) 365-2542
Vessel Traffic Services Lower Mississippi River (504) 365-2230, VHF FM Ch. 05A, 12, 67