The USCG is emphasizing “Please ensure that all vessels under your purview are aware of restrictions contained in this MSIB”.
VTS Measure — Poydras Revetment Operations
MM 81.0 AHP LMR
This is a revision to Marine Safety Information Bulletin, Vol. XVIII, Issue 086a, distributed on 23 November 2018.
Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) Lower Mississippi River, in accordance with the Navigation Safety Regulations, Code of Federal Regulations Title 33, Subpart 161.11, will establish a VTS Measure for the waters of the Lower Mississippi River from Mile Marker (MM) 80 Above Head of Passes (AHP) to MM 83 AHP. This Measure is needed to protect persons and vessels from the potential safety hazards associated with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) revetment operations occurring along the left descending bank (LDB) near MM 81.0 AHP (Poydras). The revetment operations will be conducted daily from 6:00 AM 7:00 PM, and are estimated to continue until December 7, 2018. The platform will be folded in at night, but will still extend approximately 360′ from the LDB into the river.
Effective 6:00 AM on Monday, November 26, 2018, this Measure is in effect with the following provisions:
• Sea-going deep draft vessels are restricted to one-way traffic from MM 80 to MM 83 AHP at all times during these revetment operations.
• Downbound sea-going deep draft vessels over 700 feet long are not permitted to transit between MM 80 and MM 83 AHP from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM while revetment operations are conducted. These vessels may transitthe area after the platform is folded in at night.
• Towing vessels are restricted to one-way traffic from MM 80 to MM 83 AHP LMR from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM daily.After the platform is folded in at night, meeting or overtaking arrangements may be made on a case-bycase basis with agreement of the other vessel and the on-scene pilots mentioned below.
• Line tows with 25 or more barges shall consider flanking Lower 12 Mile Point.
• All vessels are prohibited from anchoring below MM 83.0 within Lower 9 Mile Anchorage.
• All vessels are prohibited from anchoring within Lower 12 Mile Anchorage.
• All vessels shall contact the USACE on-scene pilots stationed on the MN HARRISON or MN
WILLIAM JAMES via VHF-FM Channels 67 or 82 to make passing arrangements.
Mariners are urged to exercise caution and transit at the slowest safe speed to minimize wake. Updates and/or changes will be broadcast via Safety Broadcast Notice to Mariners.
For further information, contact:
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans Command Center: (504) 365-2200
Coast Guard Waterways Management: (504) 365-2280
Vessel Traffic Service Lower Mississippi River: (504) 365-2230, VHF FM Ch. 05A, 12, 67