The Big River Coalition’s Corps 2018 Revetment Schedule and Transit Restrictions Update 112518 is attached for your reference.
The November 16, 2018 schedule of work as provided by the Corps of Engineer’s Mississippi Valley Division is the latest schedule update and is attached.
The Carrollton Gauge (New Orleans) reading was 12.26 feet at 1100 hours today with a 24-hour change of +0.02 feet.
The Coast Guard has amended the navigation restrictions for vessels transiting from Mile Marker 83 Above Head of Passes (AHP) to Mile Marker 80 AHP. The restrictions were developed with input from the Pilots, Corps, Coast Guard and navigation representatives after experience with vessels transiting around the revetment operations at the Poydras location (Mile 81 AHP) in the present high river stages. The new restrictions will commence Monday, November 26, 2018 (tomorrow) at 0600 hours and are reproduced below and contained within the attached Marine Safety Information Bulletin.
Effective 6:00 AM on Monday, November 26, 2018, this Measure is in effect with the following provisions:
- Sea-going deep draft vessels are restricted to one-way traffic from MM 80 to MM 83 AHP at all times during these revetment operations.
- Downbound sea-going deep draft vessels over 700 feet long are not permitted to transit between MM 80 and MM 83 AHP from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM while revetment operations are conducted. These vessels may transit the area after the platform is folded in at night.
- Towing vessels are restricted to one-way traffic from MM 80 to MM 83 AHP LMR. from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM daily. After the platform is folded in at night, meeting or overtaking arrangements may be made on a case-by- case basis with agreement of the other vessel and the on-scene pilots mentioned below.
- Line tows with 25 or more barges shall consider flanking Lower 12 Mile Point.
- All vessels are prohibited from anchoring below MM 83.0 within Lower 9 Mile Anchorage.
- All vessels are prohibited from anchoring above MM 80.0 within Lower 12 Mile Anchorage.
- All vessels shall contact the USACE ors-scene pilots stationed on the MN HARRISON or MN WILLIAM JAMES via VHF-FM Channels 67 or 82 to make passing arrangements.
Mariners are urged to exercise caution and transit at the slowest safe speed to minimize wake. Updates and/or changes willbe broadcast via Safety Broadcast Notice to Mariners.
The Coast Guard, Corps, Pilots and navigation stakeholders will continue to monitor the operations and navigational safety, additional adjustments may be warranted.
The Big River Coalition will work to advise its membership of any updates or adjustments as work resumes at the Poydras location at Mile 81 Above Head of Passes along the left descending bank.